There are many fun facts about New Jersey that residents and visitors may not know. For example, did you know that the official state amphibian is the New Jersey red-backed salamander? Or that the official state mineral is the Franklinite?
Here are some more fun facts about the Garden State:
1. The first successful powered flight took place in New Jersey. On October 8, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright flew their plane, the Wright Flyer, for 12 seconds over a beach in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. However, the brothers actually made their first successful flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, which is just across the border from New Jersey.
2. New Jersey is home to the world’s largest shopping mall. The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, is larger than 26 football fields, and has more than 520 stores and 42 restaurants.
3. The Delaware Water Gap is the narrowest point in the Delaware River, and is located in the northwest corner of New Jersey. The gap is just 1.3 miles wide and is spanned by two bridges.
4. The oldest tree in New Jersey is the 410-year-old Bowler Oak in Maurice River Township.
5. The first pizzeria in the United States was opened in New Jersey. It was called the Original Tomato Pie Café, and it was located in Trenton.
6. The first drive-in movie theater in the United States was also opened in New Jersey. The Garden State Drive-In opened in 1933 in West New York.
7. The first nuclear power plant in the United States was built in New Jersey. The Salem 1 Nuclear Generating Station went online in December 1962.
8. The first submarine to sink an enemy ship in combat was the USS Nautilus, which was built in Groton, Connecticut, but is based in New Jersey. On February 17, 1952, the Nautilus sank the HMS Truant off the coast of Portugal.
9. The first statewide referendum in the United States was held in New Jersey. On November 3, 1776, New Jersey residents voted on whether or not to break away from the British Crown and become an independent state.
10. The first drive-in restaurant in the United States was opened in New Jersey. The Automat opened in Newark in 1912.
What are 3 fun facts about New Jersey?
There are many fun facts about New Jersey that people may not know. For example, did you know that the world’s first drive-in movie theater was opened in Camden in 1933? Or that the first pizza in the United States was made in Trenton in 1905? Or that the first roller coaster in the United States was built at Atlantic City’s Steel Pier in 1898?
New Jersey is also home to some interesting geographical features. For example, the state is divided into two parts by the Delaware River. The Delaware River is the longest unnavigable river in the United States, and it forms the border between New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
New Jersey is also home to a number of interesting animals. The state is home to the American black bear, the bald eagle, the eastern coyote, and the white-tailed deer, to name just a few.
So, if you’re looking for some fun facts about New Jersey, you’re in luck! There are plenty to choose from.
What are 5 interesting facts about New Jersey for kids?
New Jersey is a state in the Northeastern and Middle Atlantic regions of the United States. It is bordered on the north and east by New York, on the southeast and south by the Atlantic Ocean, on the west by Pennsylvania, and on the southwest by Delaware. New Jersey is the fourth-smallest state but the 11th-most populous and the most densely populated of the 50 United States.
The area that is now New Jersey was inhabited by Native Americans for more than 2,800 years, including the Lenape and the Iroquois. In 1524, the Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano – sailing in service of King Francis I of France – was the first European to see the region and refer to it as la terra dei giganti, or “the land of the giants”.
In 1609, the English navigator Henry Hudson explored the harbor and the region and claimed it for the Dutch East India Company. Jersey City, Hoboken, and Newark were named in honor of the Dutch city of Jersey.
In 1664, the British conquered New Netherland and renamed it New York after the English Duke of York and Albany, the future James II of England and VII of Scotland. The British granted New Jersey a colonial charter in 1665. In 1666, the first English settlers arrived in Newark and established a small farming community.
New Jersey was one of the original thirteen colonies that revolted against British rule in the American Revolution. On December 18, 1787, New Jersey became the third state to ratify the United States Constitution, and on February 18, 1788, it became the first state to have its legislature approve the Bill of Rights.
1. New Jersey has more diners than any other state. There are more than 600 diners in the state.
2. The first drive-in movie theater was opened in Camden in 1933.
3. New Jersey has more horses per capita than any other state.
4. The first radio station in the United States was WRT in Trenton. It began broadcasting in 1920.
5. The first American flag was made in Burlington. Francis Hopkinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, is credited with designing it.
What are some weird facts about New Jersey?
New Jersey is a state located in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. It is bordered on the north and east by New York, on the southeast and south by the Atlantic Ocean, on the west by Pennsylvania, and on the southwest by Delaware.
New Jersey is the eleventh-most populous state in the United States, with an estimated population of 9,005,644 in 2017, and the most densely populated state, with an estimated population of 1,536 people per square mile in 2017. New Jersey is known for its diverse landscape and its extensive system of parks, forests, and recreational areas.
Here are some weird facts about New Jersey:
1. The world’s largest collection of horseshoes is located in the town of Lambertville.
2. The first professional baseball game was played in Hoboken.
3. The first drive-in movie theater was opened in Camden.
4. The first organized cheerleading squad was formed in Princeton.
5. The first American hotel to have air conditioning was the Traymore Hotel in Atlantic City.
6. The first Miss America pageant was held in Atlantic City.
7. The first nuclear power plant in the United States was opened in Shippingport, Pennsylvania, just across the Delaware River from New Jersey.
8. The first successful heart transplant in the United States was performed at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia.
9. The first submarine to be commissioned in the United States Navy was the USS Holland, which was built in New Jersey.
10. The first successful test of a nuclear weapon was conducted at the Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery Range in New Mexico, just south of the New Jersey border.
What’s so cool about New Jersey?
If you’re looking for a fun and exciting place to visit, New Jersey is a great option. There are plenty of things to do in this vibrant state, from exploring its beautiful natural scenery to checking out its world-class cities. Here are some of the things that make New Jersey so special:
1. The Shore
The Jersey Shore is world-famous for its beautiful beaches and boardwalks. There are miles of coastline to explore, and you can find everything from quiet coves to bustling party towns. The beaches here are also great for swimming, surfing, and fishing.
2. The Cities
New Jersey is home to some of the most exciting cities in the country. Newark, Jersey City, and Trenton are all full of cultural attractions, while Atlantic City is a world-famous destination for gambling and nightlife.
3. The Mountains
If you’re looking for some natural beauty, the mountains of New Jersey are a great place to explore. The Appalachian Trail runs through the state, and there are lots of great hiking and camping opportunities.
4. The History
New Jersey is home to some of the most important historical sites in the United States. The Liberty Bell is located in Philadelphia, and the Battle of Princeton took place in the state. There are also lots of fascinating historical museums to explore.
5. The Food
New Jersey is home to some of the best food in the country. You can find everything from world-famous pizza to authentic Italian pasta dishes. There are also lots of great ethnic restaurants to explore.
What does NJ have the best of?
There are many things that New Jersey is known for, and plenty of reasons why people might want to move there. But what are the things that the state does the best? Here’s a look at some of NJ’s top bragging rights.
First and foremost, New Jersey has some of the best beaches in the country. From Sandy Hook to Cape May, the Jersey Shore is a haven for sun and surfers. In fact, the state’s coastline is more than 130 miles long, providing plenty of opportunities for swimming, fishing, and just enjoying the view.
New Jersey is also home to some of the best shopping in the world. From high-end boutiques in Hoboken and Manahawkin to outlet malls in Atlantic City and Tinton Falls, there’s something for everyone. And don’t forget the state’s world-famous malls, including the Mall of America in Bloomington and the King of Prussia Mall in King of Prussia, PA.
NJ is also a major center for industry and business. Companies like Johnson & Johnson, Prudential, and Merck call the state home, and the New Jersey economy is ranked among the strongest in the nation. If you’re looking for a job, or just a place to do business, NJ is a great choice.
Finally, New Jersey is known for its diverse and vibrant culture. From the arts and theater scene in Newark and Trenton to the restaurants and nightlife in Asbury Park and Atlantic City, there’s always something to do in NJ. And with more than 8.8 million people living in the state, you’re sure to find someone to share your interests with.
So what does NJ have the best of? Beaches, shopping, industry, and culture, to name just a few. If you’re looking for a great place to live or do business, New Jersey should definitely be at the top of your list.
What can you only get in New Jersey?
What can you only get in New Jersey?
There are many things that can only be found in the Garden State. From food to attractions, New Jersey is a unique place to visit.
Let’s start with food. Some of the specialties that can only be found in New Jersey include Taylor Ham (a type of pork roll), salt water taffy, and Hoagies. If you’re looking for a unique food experience, you should definitely try out some of these dishes.
In addition to food, New Jersey is also home to some great attractions. One of the most famous is the Jersey Shore. This stretch of coastline is known for its beautiful beaches and boardwalks. There are also a number of amusement parks in the area, including Six Flags Great Adventure and Casino Pier.
Finally, New Jersey is well-known for its shopping. Major cities like Newark and Jersey City have a wide variety of stores to choose from. If you’re looking for a unique shopping experience, you should definitely visit some of the smaller towns in the state. There you’ll find a mix of local businesses and chain stores.
So, what can you only get in New Jersey? There are plenty of things to choose from, including food, attractions, and shopping. So, if you’re looking for a unique and interesting vacation destination, be sure to add New Jersey to your list.
What is the oldest town in NJ?
The oldest town in NJ is Elizabeth, which was founded in 1664. It was named after Queen Elizabeth I of England.